Saturday, July 21, 2007

War of life

The bullets thudded into the wall behind me, sending showers of chipped wood all over the place where I am hiding.

"Godammit" I cursed silently as another curtain of bullets rained down on us, sending even more debris flying. "Sir! We got to get out of here! we are sitting ducks out here!" screamed Doug, my second-in-command.

I took a moment to digest the situation. The pain-in-the-ass machine gun position, a 7.76mm caliber General purpose machine gun 150 yards out is flinging bullets at a rate of 750 rounds a minute on us. Unprotected, the tapered and twisted tip of the lead head, traveling close to 80% the speed of sound is enough to kill any one of us, searing, twisting and disgorging any internal organs the bullet comes into contact to.

"Doug! The GPMG have gotta reload any second! Use that window of opportunity and get me a grenade down his position!" I looked beside me, Jake and Peter was furiously trying to hide as much of themselves behind another tree. "Jake! Pete! Once the grenade goes, both me and Doug will provide covering fire. Try to gain distance to their position for a clean shot!" I shouted.

Suddenly, the shooting ceases. This is the moment. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Doug rising from his cover, stretched his body backwards and fling the grenade across the field. I counted mentally, One-thousand, Two-thousand, Three-thou... A boom erupted further up ahead of us. "Covering Fire!!" I immediately pop up from my hiding place and squeezed a few rounds from my M16A1 Rifle in the general direction of the machine gun position. Hopefully, this would cause the enemy to duck and buy me a safe passage for Jake and Pete who were currently in transition.

The GMPG came back to life, spewing out it's deadly bullets, slamming into Jake and Pete who nearly made it to safety. But never will now. All time stood still. I remembered the time, the first time I saw Jake and Pete, both brimming with energy and hope. Both eager to contribute to this God forsaken war. Yet those energies and youthful hope, now spent and rotting in this bloody battlefield seems wrong to me. It seems, energy and hope is not enough. You need a fair bit of luck too.

"Doug! Doug!" I shouted across to the right of me. Silence. I turned and looked. I didn't even know when he got hit. But I didn't care. It didn't matter anymore. Life isn't fair. It simply isn't.

Suddenly I felt alone, trapped behind a tree as relentless hails of bullets in this cold and unforgiving place rained down. I felt like giving up. There isn't a point in fighting so hard for gains so uncertain. I want my life back. A life which I cannot return to anymore.

I unloaded the magazine, checked the rounds and slammed it into my rifle. I chambered a round into the barrel and steeled my nerves.

I shot out of my hiding place and dashed forward, gun ablazing.....

No comments: