Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Kukup - an hour's drive that turns back the clock 40 years....















After picking up 2 of my other friends, we went on our merry way towards the Tuas checkpoint via the PIE. But since there is this rule that says Singapore cars are required to have at least 3/4 tank full before crossing the border, I had to stop over at a petrol kiosk first. I like this 3/4 rule, me thinks it's an act of thoughfulness of the government to remind us that Malaysia is big and so we must have enough fuel to last us lest we get lost. Singapore boleh!
















Ok, this picture was taken at the malaysian's checkpoint. We learnt from today's trip that we shouldn't forget to do/bring the following before crossing the border:
> immigration cards
> pens to fill up the immigration cards
> changing of currency ( I can't believed he forgot to change currency lohz...)
> top up cash card to pay for the Singapore Toll fees

As you can see, we were supposed to stop at the booth but because we didn't have immigration cards, we had to stop beside the lanes and hunt for cards, fill them up and walked over to give them the card. It was a pretty hilarious sight. Seriously, crossing the border had never been so farnie before.















This picture was taken after we left the N-S highway at Geland Patah exit travelling towards Pontian Kechil. I tell you, certain sections of the road have so much potholes that paying exorbitant road tax back in Singapore starts to make a hell lot of sense.
















This picture was taken after passing Pontian Kechil towards kukup. I'm amazed by the complexity of the road




















Kukup is so small that there is only one main road leading into it, with shophouses and houses on stilts adorning both sides of it. I have only one word for it. Rustic. Better than watching Back to the future.




















Cupbarn. I always knew I can use matchsticks to make cupbarn.



















Sunset over the smelly river.















We parked...just right outside the money changer! So that solves the problem of not having the correct currency. The place we stopped at is called High King Seafood restaurant. I had chosen this place because some bloke on the internet said the food was cheap and "not too bad". I also reckon since the person still lives to type out her recommendations, the food should be relatively safe to eat.
















Sunset over Pulau Kukup. Taken using my N70 handphone...if only I had a better camera....



















Hokai you greedy readers...here is the highlight of the trip....we ordered:
> fried squids RM12
> chilli mussels RM10 (no kidding)
> Grouper, steamed RM42
> Prawns, Chillied RM20

In total, with drinks, the bill came up to RM110 and that took us to about 9pm. Being the typical me, I got lost on the way back somewhere around Pontian Kechil in the dark. Fortunately for us, we realised we weren't lost but merely unsettled as the place looked different in the dark. All in all, the trip took up 232km and we crossed the border at around 10pm.

Fun!

No comments: