Sunday, July 01, 2007

It seems that there is an auntie network after all...

A last minute decision to help deliver food today netted me an interesting find (or rather 2 interesting finds)

All this while, I knew that the block i'm distributing food to only know each other if they are staying on the same floor. Hence, i deduced that an auntie network exist on every floor. However, while talking to one of the aunties staying on the 3rd floor, she was complaining to me that she didn't receive any food for last Sunday and even went on explaining that this is due to the fact that I was away on reservist. (In actual fact, my other friends did deliver the food in my absence but because they used the wrong name list, some of the units didn't receive any food.)

I was pretty amused. I only told an auntie living on the fourth floor that I will be away for reservist. No one else knows about this. Yet, it seems news about my reservist seemed to travel around the block.

The other thing that I discovered was rather grim. The block that I distributed food to has this alarm system connected to every unit. Any person in distress within the units can press the "panic" button linked to an alarm outside and on the ground floor. Once the button is pressed, the alarm will naturally sound and the unit in distress will be displayed on the electronic board situated outside. Today, the alarm was trigged by someone staying in unit #10-518 while I was there. I knocked on the door to rule out a false alarm before calling the police. The officer that picked up the phone told me that they have already dispatched officers to the unit already. So since there is nothing much I can do, I continued distributing the food. Strangely by the time I finished my rounds, the alarm was still sounding. I went back to the tenth floor and noticed that there were still no policemen in sight.

Two possibilities here, either the police officers have come and gone and who ever was inside was just playing itchy fingers, or, the police officers have not arrived at all. And should it be a case of genuine medicial distress, the minutes could mean the difference between life and death.

And I shall leave it as that.

No comments: