Monday, January 08, 2007

The road is long...

When Frodo and Sam first set out on their quest to destroy the one ring, none of them knew what will be awaiting them. Even if they had known what lies ahead of their long and trecherous journey, I do not think they will shun from it. Because they had a noble cause; To destroy the one ring that threatens the peace on Middle earth.

My journey in life, metaphorically speaking, is far from noble. There is no ring for me to destroy. No world for me to save from the evil monster. Sadly, my life at this current phase is just to help others earn their profit, maintain their shiny BMW and keep them fat and happy.

Heh...perhaps life in reality is unfair. In the movie, sauron had to rely on his minons to be his hands and legs. Perhaps, because he was not material ,that even out the chance for Frodo to destroy the one ring. Ask Sauron to drive a BMW around frodo as he crawls towards Mordor and I'm sure he will be so demoralised that he would just throw the ring back at Sauron. Middle earth withstanding or not.

I can't pinpoint this tireness in me. I mean, I haven't been working as hard as others, i've been truthful to my policy of "not bringing work home","don't work over the weekends" and "to hell with impossible deadlines" yet I still feel drawn. Why? Why? Why? Is it the environment? Is it the people? Or is it the very nature of the work?

I think i already know the answer. Just that i'm merely refusing to acknowledge it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dun laugh at me but i haf such thoughts about myself too. i wonder why ppl are working so hard and achieving so much (both materially and satisfaction), while i'm having such an easy and slack time. in a way, i wonder am i looking down on myself for chosing the easy options. many years later, would i regret not working harder and strive for more?

-yj